Baking and Brewing With Our Popular Botanicals
We sell a lot more than kratom! Take a look at our other popular botanicals that can be used for brewing delicious herbal teas and making healthy snacks and smoothies. Here are a few recipes you can try but feel free to get creative and add these herbs and spices to a variety of meals, snacks, smoothies and teas.
Cacao has more than 40 times the antioxidants of blueberries and more calcium than cow’s milk. It’s also the highest plant-based provider of iron. People commonly consume cacao to help with issues such as depression, stress, blood pressure and heart health.
Research has shown that cacao can help reduce risk of cardiovascular disease. Cocoa flavanols have been shown to exert anti-inflammatory action, improve blood flow, and decrease blood pressure and platelet aggregation.
Hot Chocolate, Smoothies, Baked Goods
The uses for cacao powder are nearly limitless. One of the most popular uses for cacao powder is in the making of homemade hot chocolate! Simply mix the powder with warm milk and add sweetener to taste. If you’re trying to go easy on the sugar, you can sweeten it with raw honey or Stevia. Add a little cayenne pepper for Mayan hot chocolate.
Add cacao powder to smoothies and yogurt. Incorporate it into baked goods or mix it into your pancake batter!
Mayan Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup of milk or almond or coconut milk
- sweetener (sugar, honey, Stevia)
- gently warm milk on stovetop
- mix the cacao, cayenne and cinnamon together in a mug
- pour the warm milk over the powder mixture
- add sweetener to taste
Overnight Chocolate Chia Pudding
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 3-5 tablespoons maple syrup or honey to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups milk or unsweetened nut milk
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- In a mixing bowl add cacao powder, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla and whisk together. Next, slowly add part of the milk and keep whisking until a paste forms. Then add the rest of the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add chia seeds and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or at least 3-5 hours (until it becomes a pudding texture).
- Serve chilled with desired toppings such as chopped nuts, shredded coconut or whipped cream.
Cinnamon is a superfood loaded with powerful antioxidants. Traditionally, the spice has been used to help with bronchitis and upset stomach. Ceylon cinnamon is considered by culinarians to be of superior quality.
Sprinkle ceylon cinnamon on your oatmeal or pancakes, or add it to any recipe that calls for cinnamon. You can also add it to your kratom as it is a strong potentiator.
Apple Cinnamon Smoothie Recipe
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 medium apple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (optional)
- 1 cup milk or plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Mix the ingredients in a blender until creamy.
- Top with granola, diced apples and/or a pinch of cinnamon
Turmeric has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Research has shown that curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, can benefit inflammation, pain, metabolic syndrome, and help in the management of inflammatory and degenerative eye conditions. Turmeric is commonly used as a flavoring agent in many Asian cuisines, especially in curries. Turmeric powder has a warm, bitter, black pepper-like flavor and earthy, mustard-like aroma.
Apple Cider Turmeric Detox Drink
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup or raw honey
- pinch of cayenne pepper powder
- Mix lemon juice, vinegar, turmeric, cayenne pepper and sweetener in a mug
- pour warm water on top of the ingredients and mix
Moringa is an extremely nutritious plant known for its high levels of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory qualities and protein. Moringa is packed with nutrients shown to slow down the aging process, reduce stress, promote healthier skin and bone health and lower cholesterol levels. People consume moringa to lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation and improve heart health. Adding moringa to a daily smoothie is a great way to get your greens for the day.
Tropical Moringa Smoothie
- 1 banana
- ½ cup frozen mango chunks
- ½ cup frozen pineapple chunks
- handful of kale
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 tablespoon moringa powder
Herbal Teas: Passion Flower, Marshmallow Root, Holy Basil, Damiana, Blue Lotus Flower, Hibiscus Flower
Many people use passion flower to help ease insomnia, anxiety or restlessness. Native Americans used the herb as a medicine to treat a variety of health conditions, including wounds, boils, earaches, and liver problems. The herb is also excellent for foot soaks, bath blends and facial masks as it contains many antioxidants, including vitamin C and lycopene, that help neutralize damaging free radicals. Passion flower has been shown to help reduce spasms and relax the central nervous system. Brew passion flower into an herbal tea or incorporate it into a homemade face or body scrub.
Marshmallow root has been used in herbalism and as an ornamental plant for centuries. A confection made from the root since ancient Egyptian times evolved into today’s marshmallow treat, but most modern marshmallow treats no longer contain any marshmallow root. Traditionally, people have used marshmallow root for digestive problems, cough and skin conditions such as eczema. Marshmallow root is an excellent addition to herbal tea concoctions.
Organic Holy Basil (Tulsi)
Holy basil is an Ayurvedic plant widely used as an herbal tea or taken in supplement form. Holy basil has antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. Many people consume holy basil as a stress reliever.
Hundreds of scientific studies in vitro, animal and human experiments have shown that holy basil exerts a unique combination of actions that include antimicrobial, anti-diarrheal, antioxidant, anticataract, anti-inflammatory, neuro-protective, cardio-protective, anti-diabetic, memory enhancement, anti-asthmatic, anti-arthritic, adaptogenic and anti-stress activities.
Damiana is commonly used to enhance sexual health and decrease anxiety. The herb has been used to treat headaches, depression, nervous stomach, and constipation and to boost mental and physical stamina.
Fresh Botanical Tea
Directions (This method can be used to make passion flower, marshmallow root, holy basil, blue lotus, hibiscus and/or damiana tea):
- Pour hot water over loose leaf tea and let steep
- Sweeten with honey or other sweetener (optional)
- Add milk or preferred nut milk (optional)
- Add fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Pour over ice if you prefer iced tea